Welcome to The Pen Of The Muses! The posts below are often about theological, philosophical, political, lit., or writing topics because that's what's really important to me and what I'm most excited about sharing. But I am human. Man lives not by deep theological concepts alone. Not everything I post will be weighty.

-D.C. Salmon

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The day was wet and rainy.

The day was wet and rainy. The small huddle of soggy, vagrant children shivered under a porous brown tarp. Around them slumped the wreckage of English buildings. Piles of rubble and debris covered the street that they called home. Across the scene of destruction echoed the wails of sirens and grieving mothers. These children who scraped out a living in the graveyard of houses had none to protect them. With their fathers gone to the war and the mothers killed or having abandoned them they had none save themselves for security. These were the English orphans. These were the young frightened souls tormented by the Nazi planes and bombs. These were the tough survivors in a time and place when none looked to the skies with hope. Only dread of what may come. 


I wrote this for my Comp. class. We had to write a descriptive paragraph starting with the sentence,"The day was wet and rainy." So I did. :) Now I must admit-I have no actual evidence that there were these orphans scampering across the wreckage of London during WWII. Call it an "artist's impression". 

1 comment:

  1. I like it a lot. I don't know if it's historically accurate, either, but I know it's powerful, and (in the way of all good prose) says more than just the words strung together mean.
    Very nice, Coop. :)

    ReplyDelete