Welcome to The Pen Of The Muses! The posts below are often about theological, philosophical, political, lit., or writing topics because that's what's really important to me and what I'm most excited about sharing. But I am human. Man lives not by deep theological concepts alone. Not everything I post will be weighty.

-D.C. Salmon

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Chick-fil-A Gay Marriage Contraversy: Explanation and Timeline

There's been a lot of contraversy about Chick-fil-A recently, and it's made a lot of headlines. Some of  the factual information was taken from the Go Sanangelo blog.

July 16th, 2012: Dan Cathy (head of all Chick-fil-A's everywhere) commented to Baptist Press, that they as a company are "guilty as charged" with their support of, traditional, biblical, heterosexual marriage.

August 1st, 2012: (Unofficial) Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, as organized by Mike Huckabee.

August 3rd, 2012: Gay/Lesbian Kiss-In. A gay/lesbian couple is just supposed to go to a Chick-fil-A and take a picture of them kissing.

-As far as Cathy's comment goes this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The whole first part of the interview is about how Christianly-oriented Chick-fil-A is. There are many who love, and many who hate Chick-fil-A and Cathy for this. There are many different reasons on both sides.

-Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was a smashing success. No one expected the amazing turn-out that we had. Our building was packed the whole day. It literally changed the definition of busy. We ran out of chicken by 9:00 or so that night and we made 50% more than a normal day. It was actually our busiest day, topping even our grand opening.

-The Aug, 3rd Kiss-In wasn't too bad for our restaurant-- after all we're basically the buckle of the Bible-belt. There was only one gay couple, even though many more RSPV'd on Facebook. I suppose that some Chick-fil-A's in places like California and New York were hit pretty badly.

At first I didn't realize that Cathy had been asked about his views on marriage, so I didn't think that it was a very good business move. I thought he had just published one day "I stand for traditional marriage!". But now that I know it was an interview in which he had to make a choice I support his decision and the way he made it. I must say that I also support it partially because in the grand scheme of things, he is my boss and I'm at least partially obligated to support what he says. Uniformity of the company and all.

Barnabas Piper wrote a thought-provoking article for a World Magazine site. He brings up the issue that it will be harder for Christians and others to minister to and convert gays and lesbians and those who support and condone if we further divide ourselves. Others countered this by bringing up that we as Christians are called to fight against certain things.

This again whole issue begs the question in my mind of what exactly does it mean to refuse to being supportive or apathetic to the sin, but to be able to minister to these people. It's obviously wrong and against what the Bible says to be gay or lesbian. But how can we love the sinner while still hating the sin? Well I'm still trying to figure this out. I think that it would be to be open to talking and forming relationships with gays/lesbians, but if asked for our opinions on what the right kind of marriage is, to solidly stand for Biblical marriage (while still trying not too offend the person).

No comments:

Post a Comment