Welcome to The Pen Of The Muses! The posts below are often about theological, philosophical, political, lit., or writing topics because that's what's really important to me and what I'm most excited about sharing. But I am human. Man lives not by deep theological concepts alone. Not everything I post will be weighty.

-D.C. Salmon

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Top 5ness-Highest Songs

I'm sure it doesn't surprise the people who know me that all 5 of my top 5ness songs are from the mighty Blind Guardian.. They're the bestestest (Notice the triple superlative) because they have incredible talent and amazing subjects to sing of, for they sing songs of The Cantebury Tales, The Iliad, King Arthur, Greek mythology and Norse mythology and many other things of olden times. Does any other band hold a candle to such amazingness?

1. And Then There Was Silence- It's hands down, no other can surpass it, you'd have to brain-wash me *twice* to get me to forget it, the best song in existence. Across all genres. The raw power shines through the incredible lyrics. It's about the Trojan War, and it's too amazing to be cut down to the normal size of a song. I get shivers ever single time I listen to it. I should have put this song as all 5 of my Top 5ness Highest Songs. It just shows the desperate spirit of the Trojans, the claustrophobia as the Greeks press inward, the unbridled emotions of both sides. This is *the* amazing song. 

Here are the lyrics  if you care to actually know what these tongues of gold are singing.

"In the end, Raise my hands and praise the day, Break the spell show me the way in decay the flame of Troy will shine bright."


2. The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight- This tells the story of two lovers, of the immense pain in separation, and of the intense, passionate, deep-seated feelings of love. I haven't read the book this story is from, so I don't know if this was a legitimate marriage or not. Either way this is a great song. 

"Forever it stands until the world ends, the victorious banner of love!"

3. The Bard's Song- Is a wonderfully written, masterfully played piece of almost classical guitar playing. It's a moving and yet calming song. Sadly I know not from whence it comes. :( I think it has something to do with LOTR, because it mentions Hobbits, Elves and Men. 

 "And you're not alone, so don't be afraid in the dark and cold, cuz the Bard's Songs will remain, they all will remain, in my thoughts and in my dreams they're always in my mind."

4. Battlefield- This is a really energetic song that demonstrates the fervor in the midst of battle. It reminds me of when Gandalf faces off with the Balrog because of the 

"I challenge thee: Do not cross this bridge!", 
"I will not move yet. I stand still instead.", 
"There on the battlefield he stands, down on the battlefield he's lost" 

lines. 

"Let's pray that heaven's on our side, through violence and horror now honor arise!"

5. In The Forest-The Hobbit- I love this song mostly just because I've read The Hobbit and know the story well enough to really get the references made to it. 

"I'll take the mighty stone, and leave the dwarves behind."


Honorable mentions: The Curse Of Feanor, Valhalla, Nightfall, A Past And Future Secret.


Nota Bene- To Mr. Davis: I give you hearty and deep-felt thanks. You introduced me to Blind Guardian, and my life has never been the same since. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment